27 Ocak 2022 Perşembe

The New House / Edward Thomas

The New House

NOW first, as I shut the door,
I was alone
In the new house; and the wind
Began to moan.
 
Old at once was the house,
And I was old;
My ears were teased with the dread
Of what was foretold,
 
Nights of storm, days of mist, without end;
Sad days when the sun
Shone in vain: old griefs and griefs
Not yest begun.
 
All was foretold me; naught
Could I foresee;
But I learnt how the wind would sound
After these things should be.

Edward Thomas - (3 March 1878 – 9 April 1917) was a British poet.





Yeni Ev

İlk önce, kapayınca kapıyı,
Yapayalnız kaldım
O yeni evde, derken uğultusu
Başladı rüzgarın,

Birden eskiyiverdi ev,
Birden ben de yaşlandım;
Önceden söylenenlerle
Ürperdi kulaklarım.

Fırtınalı geceler, sonu hiç gelmeyen
Sisli gündüzler; güneşle ısınmayan
Kasvetli günler: eski tasalar
Ve daha başlamamış yeni acılar.

Böyledir demişlerdi de,
İnanmamıştım önceden;
Şimdi anladım görünce,
Rüzgar nasıl uğuldarmış eserken.

Edward Thomas

Çeviren: Cevat Çapan

Snowy landscape, by Maurice de Vlaminck (1876 - 1958).

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder