29 Şubat 2016 Pazartesi

Tayeb Salih / Season of Migration to the North

"I entered the water as naked as when my mother bore me. When I first touched the cold water I felt a shudder go through me, then the shudder was transformed into a sensation of wakefulness. The river was not in full spate as during the days of the flooding nor yet was it at its lowest level. I had put out the candles and locked the door of the room and that of the courtyard without doing anything. Another fire would not have done any good. I left him talking and went out. I did not let him complete the story. I thought of going and standing by her grave. I thought of throwing away the key where nobody could find it. Then I decided against it. Meaningless acts. Yet I had to do something. My feet led me to the river bank as the first glimmerings of dawn made their appearance in the east. I would dispel my rage by swimming. The objects on the two shores were half visible, appearing and disappearing, veering between light and darkness. The river was reverberating with its old familiar voice, moving yet having the appearance of being still. There was no sound except for the reverberation of the river and the puttering of the water-pump not far away. I began swimming towards the northern shore. I went on swimming and swimming till the movements of my body settled down into restful harmony with the forces of the river. I was no longer thinking as I moved forward through the water. The impact of my arms as they struck the water, the movement of my legs, the sound of my heavy breathing, the reverberation of the river and the noise of the pump puttering on the shore — these were the only noises. I continued swimming and swimming, resolved to make the northern shore. That was the goal. In front of me the shore rose and fell, the noises being totally cut off and then blaring forth. Little by little I came to hear nothing but the reverberation of the river. Then it was as if I were in a vast echoing hall. The shore rose and fell. The reverberation of the river faded and overflowed. In front of me I saw things in a semicircle. Then I veered between seeing and blindness. I was conscious and not conscious. Was I asleep or awake? Was I alive or dead? Even so, I was still holding a thin, frail thread: the feeling that the goal was in front of me, not below me, and that I must move forwards and not downwards. But the thread was so frail it almost snapped and I reached a point where I felt that the forces lying in the river-bed were pulling me down to them. A numbness ran through my legs and arms. The hall expanded and the answering echoes quickened. Now — and suddenly; with a force that came to me from I know not where — I raised my body in the water. I heard the reverberation of the river and the puttering of the water pump. Turning to left and right, I found I was half-way between north and south. I was unable to continue, unable to return. I turned over on to my back and stayed there motionless, with difficulty moving my arms and legs as much as was needed to keep me afloat. I was conscious of the river’s destructive forces pulling me downwards and of the current pushing me to the southern shore in a curving angle. I would not be able to keep thus poised for long; sooner or later the river’s forces would pull me down into its depths. In a state between life and death I saw formations of sand grouse heading northwards. Were we in winter or summer? Was it a casual flight or a migration? I felt myself submitting to the destructive forces of the river, felt my legs dragging the rest of my body downwards. In an instant — I know not how long or short it was — the reverberation of the river turned into a piercingly loud roar and at the very same instant there was a vivid brightness like a flash of lightning. Then, for an indeterminate period, quiet and darkness reigned, after which I became aware of the sky moving away and drawing close, the shore rising and falling. Suddenly I experienced a violent desire for a cigarette. It wasn’t merely a desire; it was a hunger, a thirst. And this was the instant of waking from the nightmare. The sky settled into place, as did the bank, and I heard the puttering of the pump and was aware of the coldness of the water on my body. Then my mind cleared and my relationship to the river was determined. Though floating on the water, I was not part of it. I thought that if I died at that moment, I would have died as I was born — without any volition of mine. All my life I had not chosen, had not decided. Now I am making a decision. I choose life. I shall live because there are a few people I want to stay with for the longest possible time and because I have duties to discharge. It is not my concern whether or not life has meaning. If I am unable to forgive, then I shall try to forget. I shall live by force and cunning. I moved my feet and arms, violently and with difficulty until the upper part of my body was above water. Like a comic actor shouting on a stage, I screamed with all my remaining strength, ‘Help! Help!’"

Tayeb Salih - (Season of Migration to the North)





"Suya annemin beni doğurduğu zamanki kadar çıplak girdim. Soğuk suya ilk dokunduğumda bir ürperme hissettim. Sonra ürperme yerini uyanıklığa bıraktı. Nehir seviyesi ne sel zamanlarındaki kadar yüksek ne de suyun en az olduğu zamanlardaki kadar alçaktı. Mumları söndürdüm, odanın kapısını kilitledim ve hiçbir şey yapmadan bahçe kapısından çıktım. Bir başka yangın hiç iyi olmazdı. Onu konuşurken bıraktım ve dışarı çıktım. Hikayesini bitirmesine izin vermedim. Mezarına gidip orada durmayı düşündüm. Anahtarı hiç kimsenin bulamayacağı bir yere atmayı düşündüm. Sonra aksine karar verdim. Anlamsız hareketler. Yine de bir şeyler yapmalıyım.

Şafağın ilk ışıkları parıldarken ayaklarım beni nehir kıyısına götürdü. Yüzerek öfkemi dağıtacaktım. İki kıyıdaki nesneler de yarı görülebilir durumdaydı. Bir görünüyor, bir kayboluyorlar, ışık ve karanlık arasında yön değiştiriyorlardı. Nehir eski ve tanıdık sesiyle yankılanıyordu, hareket ediyor ama yine de sabit görüntüsünü koruyordu. Nehrin yankısından ve fazla uzakta olmayan su pompasının amaçsız hareketinden çıkan sesten başka ses yoktu. Kuzey kıyısına doğru yüzmeye başladım. Bedenimin hareketleri yavaşlayıp nehrin gücüyle huzurlu bir ahenge kavuşana kadar yüzdüm, yüzdüm. Suda hareket ettiğimi düşünmüyordum artık. Kollarımın suya çarpışı, bacaklarımın hareketi, güçlükle nefes alışımın sesi, nehrin yankısı ve kıyıdaki su pompasının sesi.. Yalnızca bu sesler vardı. Yüzdüm, yüzdüm, kuzey kıyısına varmaya kararlıydım. Amacım buydu. Önümde kıyı alçalıp yükseliyordu. Sesler tümden kesiliyor ve birden yükseliyordu. Yavaş yavaş nehrin yankısından başka hiçbir şey duyamaz oldum. Sonrası sanki çok geniş yankı yapan bir salondaymışım gibiydi. Kıyı alçalıp yükseldi. Nehrin yankısı söndü ve patladı. Önümde bir yarım dairenin içinde şeyler gördüm. Sonra görme ve körlük arasında gidip geldim. Bilincim bir açık, bir kapalıydı. Uyuyor muydum, uyanık mıydım? Yaşıyor muydum, ölü müydüm? Yine de ince, kırılgan bir bağ vardı: hedefin önümde olduğu duygusu, altında değil; bu yüzden ileri doğru gitmeliydim, dibe değil. Ama bu bağ öylesine narindi ki, kopmak üzereydi ve nehir yatağında yatan güçlerin beni aşağı çektiğini hissettiğim bir noktaya geldim. Kollarımda ve bacaklarımda bir uyuşma hissettim. Ses genişledi, yankılar hızlandı. Şimdi, birden, nereden geldiğini bilmediğim bir güçle, bedenimi suyun üstüne çıkardım. Nehrin yankısını ve su pompasının sesini duydum. Sağıma soluma baktım, kuzey ve güney arasında yolu yarılamıştım. Devam edemiyordum, geri dönemiyordum. Sırtüstü döndüm ve hareketsiz kaldım. Kollarımı ve bacaklarımı beni suyun üzerinde tutmaya yetecek kadar bile hareket ettirmekte güçlük çekiyordum. Nehrin yıkıcı güçlerinin beni aşağı çektiğinin ve akıntının beni eğik bir açıyla güney kıyısına sürüklediğinin bilincindeydim. Bu dengeyi uzun süre koruyamayacaktım. Er ya da geç nehrin güçleri beni derinliklere doğru çekeceklerdi.

Ölüm ve yaşam arası bir durumda kuzeye doğru giden kum kekliklerinin toplanmasını gördüm. Yazda mıyız kışta mı? Öylesine mi uçuyorlar yoksa göçüyorlar mı? Kendimi nehrin yıkıcı güçlerine sunduğumu hissettim. Bacaklarımın, bedenimin geri kalanını dibe çektiğini hissettim. Bir an, ne kadar kısa ya da uzun olduğunu bilmiyorum, nehrin yankısı korkunç yüksek bir uğultuya dönüştü ve tam olarak aynı anda şimşek çakması gibi parlak bir aydınlık kapladı etrafı. Sonra, belirsiz bir süre boyunca sessizlik ve karanlık hüküm sürdü. Ardından gökyüzünün hareket ettiğinin ve yaklaştığının farkına vardım, kıyı yükseliyor ve alçalıyordu. Birden korkunç bir sigara içme arzusu duydum. Yalnızca bir arzu da değildi, açlıktı, susuzluktu. Ve o anda kabustan uyandım.

Gökyüzü yerine oturdu, kıyı da öyle. Ve pompanın sesini duydum. Bedenimdeki suyun soğukluğunun farkına vardım. Sonra zihnim berraklaştı, nehirle olan ilişkim yerli yerine oturdu. Suyun üzerinde duruyorsam da onun parçası değildim. Şu an  ölürsem tıpkı doğduğum gibi ölmüş olacağım, bunda iradi bir tasarrufum olmayacak diye düşündüm.

Bütün yaşamım boyunca seçim yapmadım, karar vermedim. Şimdi bir karar veriyorum. Hayatı seçiyorum. Yaşamalıyım; çünkü mümkün olan en uzun süre birlikte kalmak istediğim birkaç kişi ve yerine getirmem gereken sorumluluklarım var. Hayatın bir anlamı olup olmaması beni ilgilendirmiyor. Eğer affedemiyorsam unutmayı denemeliyim. Güçle ve marifetle yaşamalıyım. Ellerimi ve ayaklarımı hareket ettirdim, sertçe ve güçlükle. Ta ki bedenimin üst kısmı suyun üstüne çıkana kadar. Sahnedeki bir komedi oyuncusu gibi, geriye kalan tüm gücümle bağırdım: ‘İmdaaat! İmdaaaat!’”

Tayeb Salah - (Kuzeye Göç Mevsimi)


Life on a ‘Death River’ in Bangladesh: Photographer Ugo Borga
documents the human and environmental catastrophe unfolding.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder